Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started

Ideate and Prototype Stages

Week 3

This week I was still looking for valid sources of data that would be useful enough to transform into a graph of some sort. During the tutorial I had learnt that there was a download option on the ABS website which converted all of its referred information to an Excel document. This held a great amount of data about water conservation statistics which is what I was lacking.

On Excel I experimented with;

  • deleting unwanted information within the ABS download
  • open new tabs at the bottom of Excel so I can organise my different graphs
  • highlighting all data using from the ABS download, then clicking Insert > Recommended graphs. This was incredibly helpful when I used it last week considering I have limited knowledge about how to create graphs on excel. With the practice I had last week I used what I learned for my water conservation data. (Example down bellow)

I gathered some feedback as well. Our tutor suggested that I don’t need to solely show a moral aspect, good vs bad, or reasons why water conservation is important because most already know it’s important. I should focus more on how I’m presenting the data and have it portrayed in a way were it’s importance speaks for itself, and is obvious through visual communication. Can do this through colour choice, for example use bright colours for the important facts to catch the viewers attention.

Week 4

This week I started to create sketches to see how I can portray my data and also how it could all fit and flow together of the poster format.

Sketch 1
Sketch 2
Sketch 3

I happy with using the sketches 1 and 2 but I found sketch 3 was too complicated. The data didn’t show any comparative statistics and is un-informative. With the other two favoured sketches I created a quick draft of what my poster could look like on A4 paper.

I’m still having trouble finding more data that I could use for more graphs, for I only have statistics that are in the form of facts, rather than comparative information. I might do more research to find more informative data and possibly expand my topic, so that I’m not limited to only water conservation in Australia.

Within the lecture I took notes on how to make the content on my poster more visually structured and easy to understand. This was explained through three techniques, Unity, Hierarchy and Variety. Unity is where I aim to use grids on Illustrator to help place my content in a neat and reasonable manner. Also, I plan to use contrasting/ complementary colours and fonts. To help I experimented with the website Type Connections. I have used this website before and it has helped my recognise appropriate font pairings to use. For example, through this game I discovered that Futura and ITC Century font are perfect pairings by contrasting!

Experimenting with Type Connections

Next week I aim to transfer my sketched ideas and start placing them onto Illustrator. My goal is to transform my excel graphs into colourful vectors and hopefully find more data to fill the rest of the poster.

Advertisement

Published by Kirstywordpress

University student - Graphic design

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: