Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started

Final Reflection

Challenges and learning experiences through Task Two

Week 8: Letters as a Form, Monogram

I began Task Two by understanding that monograms are not only made to be distinct and memorable but also to convey a conceptual idea. To help myself start my monogram I created a mind-map which can be seen down below.

From this mind map, I then went to Adobe Typeface to find a font that best visually reflects my ideas. I had learnt that it’s good to find similarities in the letters chosen to then be able to identify where they can connect as a monogram. For example, with the typeface ‘Myriad Pro’ I can see the similarity of the angled structure on the right side of each letter. I then began to experiment on how to connect these similarities.

These are the first couple of monogram drafts that I created.

I found it challenging when trying to work with lower case lettering. I found what I began to draft was awkward and forced. I decided to focus more on minimalistic designs and focus on erasing some elements from the drafted monogram. This was something that I was told to practise in my last assessment.

Week 9 & Week 10, The Anatomy of Type

Before this task, I had limited knowledge of how to use Adobe Indesign. In week nine’s tutorial, I learnt how to create an A5 document. It was this document setup that I used for my final A5 booklet. I learnt how to set margins and columns to assist myself when placing text to keep it all aligned and in a sensible proportion. Throughout the task, I altered some of the margins due to having difficulty fitting heaps of information on the page.
The overall goal for me was to learn how to work with type and create a composition that is not only entertaining for the viewers to read but also something that has an effortless flow to make it easy on the viewer’s eye.
I really struggled with this task due to my experience of working with the alignment of bodies of texts being limited. I struggle with using appropriate alignments, sizes and spacing. Whilst practising I was taught to use to ‘W’ short cut on my keyboard to remove the margins so I could reflect if what I had done was visually appropriate. I focused on one body of text at a time to not become overwhelmed, and bellow is my first two drafts.

Another struggle I experience is finding appropriate font families to use

I have recently been introduced to a helpful website called ‘Type Connections’, where you are able to practice matching font families together. I will practise using this to broaden my understanding of appropriate fonts to use for my body text and headings and pull out text (such as quotes).

With practice, I had finished my two set of text, which can be seen down bellow.

This task was definitely the most challenging but understanding how to compose columns and margins was helpful and I know I’ll be using those tools for future tasks.

Week 11 & Week 12, Analogue to Digital

These two weeks were used to create a collage of our chosen ransom quote. As I mention in my research post, I used a quote from Paula Scher.
I learnt not to plan anything for this task and just experiment with different scaled lettering and ripped out some random pictures. I looked into torn street posters for some inspiration but other than that I want to keep it spontaneous. As a literal accident, some of my letters fell off the page, so I decided to leave it as is.

I then scanned my collage and proceeded to edit it on Photoshop. I explored with contrast, brightness and level settings, which can be seen down below.

By then changing the image to black and white and inverting the image, I learnt that this creates a whole new theme and visually changes the meaning that was originally interpreted. Before it makes the quote seem playful and daring, but with the grey-scaled image it almost makes the act of making an accident dark and dangerous.

I discovered though that the coloured version was easier on the viewer’s eye and the intense use of contrast of bright colours with the black background made the quote more readable.

Week 13 and 14, Booklet and Sequencing

Throughout weeks nine to twelve I had slowly started to create my A5 booklet. It was during these two last weeks that I sequenced the content to fit comfortably on each page. By learning from past advice I focused on minimalism. I didn’t want to get carried away with trying to cover each page with as much content as I can. Instead I wanted to explore using white space to my advantage. This change of thinking can be seen with these two drafts of my contents page I made.

I learnt how to use the eye drop tool and used it to create complementary background colours for my front page and back page. The light Salmon colour was taken from some lettering in my collage.

Whether I achieved in creating a readable and visually pleasing booklet or not, this task was definitely an effective learning process. I worked through many difficulties such as working with alignment and font, and found effect tools such as Photoshop adjustment settings, and column and margin settings. I aim to continue practising skills and lessons that I have learnt in this subject so that I can continue using them more effectively in future tasks.

Advertisement

Published by Kirstywordpress

University student - Graphic design

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: